Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Crusader Kings II - Everybody do the Pagan

The year is 1097. The date is August 27. The Pagans ... are Cometh.

OK, OK, it was a lame start to my Lappish Pagans game. As you'll note above, the blue blob of me (far less impressive than it looks due to the quality of the territories involved) definitely moved the wrong way when my goal was to destroy the influence of Sweden and Norway on the Scandinavian peninsula. Regardless, sometimes you have to declare war where there's war to be declared, and I'm the one who chose to start the game as incredibly underwhelming Lappland.

Still, I really have little to fear from anything less than three Christian kingdoms ganging up on me, and the Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire is really quite tolerant of me as a person. Yeah, you may be an accursed infidel, High Chief Njuolla the Noble, but you seem like a genuinely NICE guy. You better believe it, mega giant Grey Blob slowly creeping closer and closer to my holdings! I am your best brotato.

Obviously, I am NOT his best brotato, but that's not a secret I'm going to let out until Sweden, then Norway, then Denmark get ground under my heel, and the goal is to make the first couple of those things happen like, now. Thankfully, the majority of Christendom and Islam have bigger fish to fry while I get set to wage bloody, bloody war on my neighbors. Like Cumania. Because Cumania is HUGE (6th most holdings in the game to date) and Pagan, and surrounded on every side by realms that are not huge, and not Cumania, and it's inexorably changing that.

This whole game started as a result of a hyperbolic rant I had about how overpowered Pagans would be as a playable race as they stand in Crusader Kings 2, in response to complaints about how Pagans suck (AI Pagans do kind of suck, in the sense that -every- small realm next to bigger realms who have an excuse to gobble them up suck). Overall, I stand by my hyperbole. Or at least the core point I was trying to make - at the start of the game in 1066, a Pagan realm will splat any neighbor Christian realm of equal size, in spite of their technological deficiencies. (According to the esteemed experts at Paradox, and judging by the technology system in the game, Pagan tribes in 1066 didn't know how to wipe their butts with a leaf, much less make fire or wear clothes or what not).

It has really drained my time resources away from playing my Basque game, where I started as a custom count of Najera in 1066 and founded the empire of Hispania in 1091. But all in all, this has been a greater, more fun challenge - starting as a single independent infidel county next to two of the larger kingdoms and quickly establishing myself as a force they cannot take lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment